Doesn't it always seem like gas prices are constantly increasing? Some of us might be pinching our pennies at the fuel station. To help ease the strain on your wallet, we've put together a list of things to do (and not do) to get the best gas mileage. These are our top 5 tips on how to save some money on gasoline:
- Go easy on the gas. Research has shown that aggressive driving, including rapid acceleration, cruising at high speeds, and braking abruptly is the most significant culprit in excessive gas-guzzling. We advise you to take things slowly. That way, you can maintain a gas-friendly and safe speed! And when driving on the highway, remember to use cruise control.
- Don't lug heavy items around. We highly advise against storing too many items in your car, especially the bulky, heavy ones. The more things you bring with you, the more fuel your vehicle is going to burn.
- Don't use premium unless your car demands it. A common mistake that drivers make is putting the wrong grade of gas in their car. People often associate premium gasoline and its higher price tag with better fuel efficiency; however, that is not the case! You should only use premium gas if your car requires it.
- Avoid excessive idling. Idling uses a shocking amount of fuel, more so than restarting the engine. If you need to remain in your parked vehicle for more than a minute or two, turning off the engine might be better than leaving it on.
- Tire maintenance is vital.Your tires play a huge part in your fuel efficiency, so it's crucial to get them the necessary care it needs. To evenly distribute the wear and tear on your tires, we recommend having your tires rotated every 5,000 to 8,000 miles (or every oil change). Additionally, you should regularly check on their tire pressure. If they're underinflated, please ensure you correctly fill them up to the factory's recommended pressure. Under-inflated tires tend to decrease mileage and are dangerous to drive on.
We hope these five tips help you out at your fill-ups. If your vehicle needs any maintenance or repairs, please give Euro Car Tech a call or visit today!